iHeartDogs is reader-supported. When you buy via links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.
Do you have a trip coming up that your dog will, obviously, be joining you on? Whether traveling to the store or out of state, by air or by road, you’ll want to have these products on hand to make your journey with your pet easier.
From car seat covers to airline-approved carriers to portable food and water bowls, these 15 pet products cover all the bases and take some of the hassles out of traveling with your dog.
Best Airline Approved Carrier For Small Dogs
- Pet carrier designed to fit under airline seats
- Top and side entry with locking zippers
- Adjustable, non-slip carrying strap
- Mesh windows for ventilation and visibility
The Sherpa Airline-Approved Dog & Cat Carrier is perfect for keeping your small dog comfy and by your side while you fly. The inside is lined with soft faux sheepskin, and the mesh sides offer ventilation and visibility.
Because it’s meant to be airplane cabin-approved, it’s only going to fit dogs up to 22 pounds. The Sherpa carrier is carry-on approved by most major airlines, but you should contact your airline before flying to make sure it meets their particular requirements. Product reviews indicate it’s been fine with Southwest, Alaska Airlines, Jet Blue, and Delta.
Best Backpack Travel Carrier
- Backpack carrier with padded back and shoulder straps, secure chest and waist buckles
- Dimensions: 10 x 13 x 16 inches
- Designed for optimal airflow to keep your pet cool and comfortable during flights and drives
- Available in 9 colors
If you’re more of a backpack than a shoulder bag person, you might like to carry your pet in the PetAmi Deluxe Backpack Dog & Cat Carrier. It will make traveling through the airport with the pup easy, and the bag fits by your feet on the plane. Like other in-cabin pet carriers, this backpack is meant for smaller dogs.
Best Carrier Sling For Travel
- Hands-free, over the shoulder carrier sling
- Ideal for small dogs up to 13 pounds
- Soft, high-quality cotton
- Includes a safety collar to keep your pet securely in the bag
If you have a small dog who prefers to be tucked under your arm, the FurryFido Classic Reversible Dog & Cat Carrier Sling lets you cart them comfortably through the airport or train station hands-free. The sling comes equipped with a safety collar to ensure your dog doesn’t slip out.
Best Travel Kennel For Medium/Large Dogs
- Heavy duty plastic kennel designed for medium dogs 50-70 lbs
- No-tool assembly
- Meets most airline cargo specifications and USDA shipping live animal requirements
- 360 degree ventilation
If you need to fly a large dog, go with the sturdy, reliable Petmate Ultra Vari Dog & Cat Kennel. It goes without saying, but this kennel is too big for in-cabin air travel. It is large enough to fit a dog up to 70 pounds, unlike the above carriers.
Best Portable Food And Water Bowl Set
- Includes two 3 cup-sized bowls that can be used for food or water
- Equipped with carrying handle
- Sealing system keeps food fresh and secure
The Gamma2 TRAVEL-tainer is a pet feeding set with two 3-cup bowls. It has a removable handle and seals tightly when you’re not using it to keep stored food fresh and secure.
Best Collapsible Travel Bowl
- Available in 1.5 cup or 5 cup sizes
- Convenient portable, collapsible bowl
- Carabiner attaches to backpacks, leashes, etc.
- Top rack dishwasher safe
The PRIMA Pets Collapsible Travel Bowl Includes a carabiner for easy attachment to a backpack, purse, belt loop, or your dog’s leash. As the product title indicates, it easily collapses for quick storage and opens up just as fast. It’s a great on-the-go bowl.
Best Travel Water Bottle For Dogs
- Bowl makes drinking from the bottle easy for your dog
- Holds up to 14oz/400 mL of water
- Seal and lock key design ensure no leakage when not in use
- The shape makes it possible to hydrate your pet with one hand
Trying to offer your dog water from a standard bottle can be challenging. The PETKIT Dog Water Bottle was specifically designed for dogs to drink from. When your dog’s thirst is satisfied, you can easily draw the extra water back inside the bottle, so nothing goes to waste.
Best Dog Backseat Cover
- Protects your car seats from muddy paws and pet hair
- Padded quilted scratch-resistant cotton material
- Secured with adjustable leather head rest straps, seat anchors, and nonslip backing
- Pockets let you store toys and other pet accessories
One downside to letting the pup ride in the car is the mess he leaves behind. The PetSafe Happy Ride Quilted Hammock Seat Cover will protect your car’s interior while ensuring your dog is comfortable on long trips.
Best Booster/Car Seat
- Can be used in either the front or back seats of the car
- Zippered cover is easy to remove and machine washable
- Secured with an adjustable tether
- Booster lets your dog safely see the sights out the window
Just like with small humans, a booster/car seat will keep your little dog safe in the car. The K&H Bucket Booster Pet Seat can go in either the front or back seats. It helps keep your dog put while the vehicle is in motion and comfy on those long road trips.
Best Car Harness/Seatbelt
- Crash-tested for dogs up to 75 pounds
- Features padded chest plate and 5 adjustment points for customizable fit
- Includes a seat belt loop tether compatible with any car seat belt system
- Size will depend on your dog’s chest measurements
Standard car seat belts tend not to work on dogs. The Kurgo Tru-Fit Enhanced Strength Crash Tested Smart Car Dog Harness attaches safely and securely to standard seat belts. This harness was crash-tested and can protect dogs up to 75 pounds (check to make sure you select the right size for your dog.) It works great as a walking harness outside the car too.
Best Dog Barrier For The Car
- Safely keeps your dog from jumping between rows in the car
- See-through design eliminates driving blind spots
- Protective brace pads won’t damage your car’s interior
- Attaches to headrests, no tools necessary
The Jumbl Pets Heavy-Duty Adjustable Car & SUV Dog Barrier keeps your dog in the cargo area of your car without blocking your view while you drive. It’s easy to set up without tools and won’t damage your car seats.
RELATED: How To Get Anxious, Scared, Or Motion Sick Dogs Used To Riding In The Car
Best Calming Treats for Travel
- Purchase of the 60 count chews provides 7 meals to shelter pets in need!
- 5 mg of calming hemp oil per soft chew
- Contains no THC and will not make your dog “high”
It’s hard to explain air, car, or train travel to your dog. All they know is their routine has been disrupted, and they’re surrounded by strange sounds and smells. Calming supplements can help soothe your dog’s travel anxiety.
Cannanine Soft Chews are made from calming hemp oil (not THC), and best of all, when you buy a 60-count container of chews, you help provide 7 meals for shelter dogs.
Pet First Aid Kit For Travel
- Medical kit that covers minor wound care, sprains and strains, pain relief, and more
- Many of the kit components can be used for dogs and people
- Comes with a pet first aid manual
The great thing about the Me & My Dog Medical Kit is that most of the tools inside can be used on both dogs and people. It contains useful items, such as gauze, an emergency blanket, alcohol wipes, and nitrile gloves. You can see a complete list of what’s inside the first aid kit when you click one of the above links.
On The Go Dog Washers/Cleaning Kits
- Holds up to 6 liters of water and produces a non-stop stream for about 2 minutes
- Hang it up with adjustable straps
- Foldable and portable
- Can also be used to drink from
When full, the Kurgo Go Shower For Dogs can release a 2-minute steady stream of water. It’s perfect for cleaning your dog after a hike or when you don’t have time to stop at the hotel. When you’re done using it, the bag folds up easily.
Best Travel Treat And Waste Bag Dispensers
- Waste bag dispenser and separate storage pouch
- Bright colored fabric provides visibility in the dark
- Hands-free pouch attaches to leashes with built-in clip
No one wants to be the jerk who didn’t bring along waste bags, even on vacation. The Fetch Pet Products Double Doodie Poop Bag Holder & Treat Pouch Dispenses waste bags and even has a separate ventilated pocket to temporarily store full bags until you find a trash can.
Plus, you’ll probably want to keep your dog happy while they undergo the stress of travel, and this dual treat pouch/waste bag holder makes their treats easy to access.
Safe travels to you and your pups!